• 1 x 2.5 # side of salmon, skin on
• ½ T. caraway seed
• ½ T. coriander seed
• 1 tsp. black peppercorns
• 1.5 oz. salt
• 1 oz. sugar
• 4 oz. fresh dill
1. In a saute pan, toast the caraway and coriander seeds for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool and transfer to a spice grinder with the black pepper and grind until smooth. Mix together with the salt and sugar. Set aside.
2. Cut the belly meat off of the salmon so you are left with 1 even strip of salmon side. Fill a large bowl with salted water and soak the salmon side for 15 minutes. Remove from the water, pat very dry and season, skin side with an equal amount of the seasoning mixture on 1 side. Lay out a long sheet of plastic wrap and place half of the dill down and place the seasoned side of the salmon on top of the dill evenly. Season the skin with the remaining seasoning and top evenly with the remaining dill. Wrap the salmon side up tightly and place on a sheet try, skin side down with a heavy baking pan on top. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
3. After 24 hours, flip the salmon over so that the skin side is up, place the heavy baking pan on top and put back in the refrigerator for 24 more hours.
4. Remove the wrap and remove the dill and remove as much seasoning as possible. Pat both sides with a paper towel.
5. Slice very thin with a very sharp knife diagonally.