- 1 T. oil
- 1 # Italian sausage links, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 x 8 oz chicken breasts
- 2 T. oil (if needed)
- 1 onion, julienne
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 C. pickled cherry peppers (or peppadew peppers work great) + 1/4 C. of the brine
- 1 C. pinot grigio
- 2 C. chicken stock
- 6-8 sage leaves, whole
- 3 T. butter (cut into 3 pats), rolled in flour
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large saute pan, or dutch oven, heat the 1 T. of oil until hot. Add the sausage pieces and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear in the sausage oil, allowing for a deep caramelization on the chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on the plate with the sausage.
- Next add the onion, pepper and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Deglaze the pan with the brine from the peppers making sure to scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. You are going to want that flavor in your sauce! Next add the pinot grigio and reduce until the alcohol taste has cooked out. Add the chicken stock and the sage and bring to a simmer.
- When the liquids are simmering, add the browned sausage and chicken back to the pan, cover and let simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken breasts are cooked, turn off the heat and add the butter pats rolled in flour to the pan and stir well to thicken. Check for a final seasoning of salt and pepper.