• 1 T. olive oil
• 1 rotisserie chicken, all meat removed from bone, diced or shredded
• 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
• 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, ground
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
• 7 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 lb phyllo dough, thawed (about 24 leaves)
• 1 cup butter (2 sticks
1. In a large skillet, add onions, garlic, ginger, and 1 tablespoon oil; saute, stirring constantly, just until onions are translucent. Stir in cinnamon, cumin, ground coriander, red pepper, turmeric, and saffron. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are completely coated with spices-about 3 minutes.
2. Increase heat to high. Add broth, fresh coriander, and parsley to skillet with onion mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring to combine. Add chicken to skillet, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add eggs, salt, and pepper to onion mixture. Cook until soft curds form, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set onion-egg mixture aside to cool.
4. To assemble b’stilla, place phyllo between 2 sheets of waxed paper, then cover with damp towel. (Phyllo dries out very quickly. Each time you remove a sheet, be sure to cover remaining sheets with damp towel.) Brush 12-inch pizza pan with some melted butter. Remove 1 sheet of Phyllo and place on pan, letting the edges hang over the rim. Brush phyllo sheet with butter. Working quickly, stack and butter 11 more sheets, arranging them in the pan in an overlapping, circular fashion (like a pinwheel).
5. On center of phyllo, in even layers, arrange half the Topping, half of onion-egg mixture, all of chicken pieces, the remaining onion-egg mixture, and the remaining Topping, Fold overhanging phyllo over top of b’stilla and brush top with butter.
6. Continue to butter and arrange 12 phyllo sheets in the same pinwheel fashion over top of b’stilla (as before). Carefully tuck the overhanging ends underneath it. Brush top and side of b’stilla with butter. Cover loosely with foil.(At this point, can be refrigerated two hours or up to 2 days before baking).
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake b’stilla 20 minutes or until golden. (If b’stilla has been chilled, bake 5 to 10 minutes longer.) Place a baking sheet or another 12-inch pizza pan over the b’stilla and invert so that the underside is now on top. Return to oven on the new pan (or slide back onto original pan) and bake 25 minutes longer or until crisp and golden.
8. If desired, sprinkle confectioners' sugar and ground cinnamon on top of b’stilla.
Topping:. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread almonds on ungreased baking sheet and place in oven for 7 minutes or until lightly toasted. In food processor with chopping blade (or by hand), process almonds with sugar and cinnamon until coarsely ground.